5.10.2012

Pasta with Sausage and Cherry Tomatoes

So I have to admit two things -- 1. I am trying to eat healthy and kick start my "healthy living" diet (including overhauling my food and exercise routines) and 2. I am an avid collector of cookbooks. With that being said, I have so many cookbooks sitting on my shelf and I have only made a fraction of the delicious recipes inside. So today I decided to start picking random recipes out and {gasp} actually make them!! This first one I wanted to try making was Pasta with Sausage and Cherry Tomatoes, mainly because I realized I already had all the ingredients to make it, so no trip to the store was needed - score! The following recipe was taken from "Cook Yourself Thin Faster" by Lauren Deen, I picked this up in the bargain bin at Barnes and NObles (notice the $5 price tag haha).
This is what the dish is supposed to look like.

Pasta with Sausage and Cherry Tomatoes
Serves 4 - Calories 283 per serving.

Olive oil cooking spray
1/2 lb pork sausage, removed from casings and crumbled 
(I used Hatfield hot Italian because that is D's favorite and he likes things hot, but I'm sure chicken or turkey sausage would be delicious too!)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
pinch of red pepper flakes
16 cherry tomatoes (I actually counted them out, but I suggest adding more!)
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
salt and pepper
7 ounces whole wheat linguine, cooked al dente (I used whole wheat spaghetti instead because that's what I had in the pantry)
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley


1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and place over medium high heat, add the sausage and stir occasionally for about 3 minutes, until the meat begins to brown. Add garlic, pepper flakes, tomatoes and thyme. Cook until the sausage turns dark brown and the tomato skins have burst, about another 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Place the cooked pasta in a warm serving bowl and toss with extra virgin olive oil. Top the pasta with the sausage and tomato mixture, stir to combine, and sprinkle with fresh parsley.

Sauteing it up!
Tossed in whole wheat pasta, garnished with fresh parsley.
Taking a moderate size portion : )
And done!


And that's it! It was really simple to make and I have to say it was rather delicious! It tasted really flavorful yet light -- pefect for a spring or summer pasta dinner without the heavy sauces. Overall I'm really pleased with this dish, would recommend it, and have already been asked to make it again : ) Score!

If anyone tries to make this dish please let me know what you think of it!
And does anyone else have a love for collecting cookbooks like I do??

-Pretty Little Things

4 comments:

  1. Yum that looks good! Might give it a try and make it for my mother for mother's day :) Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to start making it.

    XO Jojo

    www.jojosecretfashiondiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good! thanks for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete

I love getting and reading all your comments and respond to most of them when I can. Love hearing from you all! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...